I made these pickles while growing up and love them because you can eat them with just about anything. Now, both of my children love these pickles, too. I think you'll enjoy them as much as we do!—Linda Weger, Robinson, Illinois
Featured In: 22 Pickled Recipes
- 20 cups sliced cucumbers (about 12 medium)
- 3 cups sliced onions (about 4 medium)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 3 quarts ice water
- 1/2 cup canning salt
- 6 cups sugar
- 6 cups white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons mustard seed
- 3 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Place cucumbers, onions and peppers in a large bowl. In another large bowl, mix ice water and salt; pour over vegetables. Let stand 3 hours.
- Rinse vegetables and drain well. Pack vegetables into eleven hot 1-pint jars to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- In a Dutch oven, bring sugar, vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, turmeric and cloves to a boil. Carefully ladle hot liquid over vegetable mixture, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot liquid. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 11 pints.
Originally published as Favorite Bread & Butter Pickles in Canning & Preserving 2014 Bookazine 2014, p52
Reviews for Favorite Bread & Butter Pickles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 11, 2016
"Very nice, I cooked the Cubs in the brine though. Janet. VFE"