I make this recipe often. It dresses up beets with tangy flavor but lets their goodness come through. I prefer to eat mine warm, but my husband likes his cold.Fred Castellini & Sin Farms, Greg Castellini, Vineland, New Jersey
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 medium fresh beets, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place beets in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until
- tender. Drain and place in a bowl; add onion. In a small bowl,
- combine the vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Drizzle over beets and
- toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate and served chilled.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 94 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.