Favorite Beef Chimichangas Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped peeled potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt with parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (4 ounces each) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 16 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Optional toppings: guacamole, salsa or sour cream
- 1. Cut roast in half; place in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Arrange potatoes around the roast; pour water over potatoes. Drizzle meat with soy sauce. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. Top with green chilies. Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours or until meat is very tender.
- 2. Remove roast to a platter. Shred meat with two forks and return to the slow cooker. Combine flour and taco seasoning; stir into meat mixture. Cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until juices are thickened.
- 3. To assemble chimichangas, using a slotted spoon, spoon 1/2 cup meat mixture off-center on each tortilla. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Fold up edge nearest filling; fold in both sides and roll up.
- 4. In a large skillet, fry chimichangas, folded side down, in oil in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with toppings if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 chimichanga (calculated without toppings): 509 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 914mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (trace sugars, 7g fiber), 32g protein
Reviews for Favorite Beef Chimichangas
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.