Favorite Barbecued Chicken Recipe
What better place to find a fantastic barbecue sauce than Texas, and that’s where this one is from—it’s my father-in-law’s own recipe. We’ve served it at many family reunions and think it’s the best! —Bobbie Morgan, Woodstock, Georgia
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Salt and pepper to taste
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Grill chicken, skin side down, uncovered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute the onion in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- 3. Turn chicken; grill 15-25 minutes longer or until juices run clear, brushing often with barbecue sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Barbecued Chicken
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2014
"I made exactly as directed, and we enjoyed this barbecued chicken."
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2008
"I used sesame seed oil and it added just a little extra taste to this already delicious bbq sauce."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC