What better place to find a fantastic barbecue sauce than Texas, and that’s where this one is from—it’s my father-in-law’s own recipe. We’ve served it at many family reunions and think it’s the best! —Bobbie Morgan, Woodstock, Georgia
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- Salt and pepper to taste
- BARBECUE SAUCE:
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Grill chicken, skin side down, uncovered, over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute the onion in oil until tender. Stir in the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken; grill 15-25 minutes longer or until juices run clear, brushing often with barbecue sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Favorite Barbecued Chicken in Country June/July 2006, p49
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Favorite Barbecued Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 10, 2014
"I made exactly as directed, and we enjoyed this barbecued chicken."
Reviewed Sep. 16, 2008
"I used sesame seed oil and it added just a little extra taste to this already delicious bbq sauce."