- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 large firm bananas
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Spread half of the custard into pastry shell. Slice bananas; arrange over filling. Pour remaining custard over bananas. Spread with whipped cream. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Favorite Banana Cream Pie
Sort By :
"The flavor was excellent but my custard never set and I followed the recipe exactly as directed. Next time will add more cornstarch"
"I Made this for my club meeting, all the women wanted the recipe.Made copies for everyone. Needless to say it was enjoyed by all"
"I made everything exactly as the recipe directed. It tasted delicious but the custard never set and I ended up with banana cream soup. Clearly the ratios in the recipe are off"
"I made this pie last night and had a piece this morning. It is absolutely wonderful!"
"My husband and I are both lactose intolerant and so soy or almond milk was my choice and I should have only added 2 cups milk not 3 otherwise a good "from scratch" recipe for banana cream pie."