- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 2 large firm bananas
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, salt and milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Gently stir in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard; refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes.
- Spread half of the custard into pastry shell. Slice bananas; arrange over filling. Pour remaining custard over bananas. Spread with whipped cream. Refrigerate 6 hours or overnight. Yield: 8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Favorite Banana Cream Pie
"Make sure to sweeten your whip cream with 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. I also strain all my custard and puddings with a wire strainer to prevent lumps."
"This is a great banana cream pie recipe, absolutely delicious! To the people that gave this 1 star because it came out like soup, all I can say is you have to be patient while thickening it. It can take 10 to 20 minutes or longer to thicken. I didn't time mine but I know this from past experience with custard recipes. Keep your eye on it and stir constantly so it doesn't burn on the bottom or try using a double boiler. It's not the recipe that made your pie runny. Also temper your eggs and hot custard. Use small spoonfuls to put into your eggs and stir each time until the eggs get warm. Then you can add them to the custard mixture."
"I love this custard. But I cut the sugar down to 2/3 cup and its perrrfect. Much too sweet with a full cup, in my opinion. I added a thin layer of ganache on top of a graham cracker crust, then custard, bananas, custard, cream. My favorite pie!! But yeah, I make this recipe for all my custard/pudding needs."
"I made this soup pie exactly as the recipe instructed. The custard never set. Very disappointed. The whipped cream needed to be sweetened as well. What a waste of ingredients."
"I can't even give one star...this is the worst Banana Cream Pie recipe. I followed instructions exactly and it was nothing but soup. This recipe should be for egg yolks...not the whole egg. The whites "cooked" so pieces of them were throughout. The recipe says to chill for 30 minutes with plastic wrap. The pudding was thick until I did that and then it was nothing but liquid. And it was a weird color not the nice yellow custard which I believe is due to the whites of the egg. Taste of Home has a "Banana Cream Pie Recipe" which is much better with yolks, no refrigerating the pudding and it comes out beautiful...this recipe is a disaster...what a waste of ingredients and my time."