My husband and I enjoyed a delicious potato soup at a restaurant while on vacation and I came home determined to duplicate it. It took me 5 years to get the taste right! —Joann Goetz, Genoa, Ohio
- 4 large baking potatoes (about 2-3/4 pounds)
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake potatoes at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until tender; cool completely. Peel and cube potatoes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes and green onions. Garnish with bacon and cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Baked Potato Soup in Taste of Home October/November 2001, p18
Reviews for Favorite Baked Potato Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review