- 4 large baking potatoes (about 2-3/4 pounds)
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 6 cups milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake potatoes at 350° for 65-75 minutes or until tender; cool completely. Peel and cube potatoes.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in sour cream. Add potatoes and green onions. Garnish with bacon and cheese. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Baked Potato Soup
"Love this recipe!!!! I made very little changes. I did add more potatoes than it called for as well as used Old cheddar cheese(and lots of it ) for that sharp cheddar flavor. I believe that any recipe is a starting block and we add to it or take away things to make it our own. This recipe need very little adjustment to make my family beg for seconds! And with 5 kids to please, when they all want more, i know I have hit the jackpot with this one!"
"This recipe is a good start but is really quite bland. I added more salt and pepper, 1 can of chicken broth, 1/4 c chopped onion, and about 1/3 cup of cheddar cheese. So many people gave this a 5 star rating but go on to tell about all the extra ingredients they added. That's not really an accurate rating of the original recipe."
"This recipe is flawless! I have shared it so many times!"
"Thoroughly impressed with this recipe. Winter in Wisconsin is starting to get cold & the smell of potatoes baking the oven just stimulates the salivary sense of what's to come. I didn't add as much sour cream as indicated & split the milk called for with 1/2 & 1/2 and milk. I also added chopped ham I had in the freezer in addition to the bacon. Chopped yellow onions & celery plus a couple drops of hot sauce is what I say "nailed it"!"
"Really easy and very good. I even had enough to share at work."
"I have made this and it is totally delicious. Thank you for the recipe."
"I have made this soup forever...still have the original magazine it was featured in many years ago!"
"Try it with 1 can cream of chicken soup, 1 stick butter and swiss cheese instead of flour and cheddar cheese. Omit the 2/3 cup butter. Only 3 1/2 cups milk. 10 potatoes. Best ever."
"Liked it very much. A good basic recipe that can be changed up. I subbed lite cream for 1 c of the milk- not sure if that was the sole reason it was so thick! I also added 2 chicken bouillon cubes, garlic, cheddar and bacon. Would be great with ham! Thanks for sharing the recipe!"
"Great soup. Rich and hearty. My whole family really liked it, including my pregnant daughter-in-law who really isn't able to eat much. She had 2 bowls. I made minor changes based on reviews. I added 4 garlic cloves, 1 TBS chicken base, 1 tsp garlic salt and used 7 cups of milk. Next time I will use 8 cups as it was a little thicker than I would have liked. Not the fault of the recipe, I just prefer thinker soup. Highly recommend."