Favorite Apple Dumplings Recipe
This is one of Marilyn's favorite recipes...it won second place in a local contest.
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plus 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 small tart apples, peeled and cored
- Additional milk
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup butter; stir until melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk.
- 3. Divide pastry into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. square. Place an apple on the center of each. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar; dot with remaining butter. Bring corners of pastry to center. Brush edges with milk; pinch edges to seal.
- 4. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; drizzle with reserved syrup. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 709 calories, 37 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 654 mg sodium, 91 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Favorite Apple Dumplings
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC