- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup plus 6 teaspoons butter, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 small tart apples, peeled and cored
- Additional milk
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup butter; stir until melted. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk.
- Divide pastry into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into a 6-in. square. Place an apple on the center of each. Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar; dot with remaining butter. Bring corners of pastry to center. Brush edges with milk; pinch edges to seal.
- Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; drizzle with reserved syrup. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Favorite Apple Dumplings(4)
Sort By :
My husband has been trying to get me to make apple dumplings for months and I finally did today. These are so easy and tasted fantastic. I was so pleased with the flavor and how simple these were to put together, all that was missing was the ice cream!
These are Exactly what I have been searching for! I tweaked it a bit as far as ingredients, i.e. less sugar and more cinnamon. My Aunt used to make these for us when I was little and I have tried to duplicate her recipe, to no avail on the perfect taste! However, these DID IT! Thanks so much for sharing....
Delicious! Tastes great with the addition of a little bit of rhubarb in it as well!
These are delicious! The syrup seems thin, but during the baking process it's transformed into a delicious thick sauce. The pastry is so tender and good! I wouldn't change a thing, and I'll keep the recipe with those that are my stand-bys.