Faux Profiteroles with Warm Caramel Sauce
Croissants are a super quick stand-in for cream puffs in this luscious treat. The from-scratch caramel sauce couldn’t be easier to make and it’s irresistible with butter pecan ice cream.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 miniature croissants
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups butter pecan ice cream
- Place croissants on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 5 minutes or
- until warmed.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Cook
- and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to
- medium-high. Cook without stirring until mixture turns an amber
- color and a candy thermometer reads 330°. Remove from the heat;
- gradually stir in cream and butter until smooth.
- Split croissants horizontally. Place a scoop of ice cream on the
- bottom half of each croissant; replace tops. Drizzle each with 2
- tablespoons caramel sauce (save remaining sauce for another use).
- Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
Nutritional Facts: 1 croissant with 1/2 cup ice cream and 2 tablespoons sauce equals 435 calories, 27 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium,