Faux Profiteroles with Warm Caramel Sauce Recipe
- 6 miniature croissants
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups butter pecan ice cream
- 1. Place croissants on a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until warmed.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium-high. Cook without stirring until mixture turns an amber color and a candy thermometer reads 330°. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in cream and butter until smooth.
- 3. Split croissants horizontally. Place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom half of each croissant; replace tops. Drizzle each with 2 tablespoons caramel sauce (save remaining sauce for another use). Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 cups sauce).
1 croissant with 1/2 cup ice cream and 2 tablespoons sauce equals 435 calories, 27 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 76 mg cholesterol, 342 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.