Faux Chicken Nuggets
Here's a recipe from our Test Kitchen for "chicken nuggets" that's poultry-free. It calls for pound cake in place of chicken, rolled in a “batter” of chopped peanuts. Kids will think they're having dinner for dessert.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely chopped salted peanuts
- GOLDEN DIPPING SAUCE:
- 2 snack-size cups (3-1/2 ounces each) vanilla pudding
- 2 teaspoons dark corn syrup
- 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- Cut cake into 12 slices; cut each slice in half. Cut into irregular
- nugget-shaped pieces; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, corn syrup,
- butter and vanilla; beat on low speed until sugar is moistened. Beat
- on high until smooth. Dip cake pieces into glaze, then roll in
- peanuts. Let stand until set.
- In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Serve with nuggets.
- Yield: 2 dozen (1 cup sauce).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 342 calories, 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 231 mg sodium,