Fat Rascals (Potato Cheese Puffs)
This is an all-time favorite Saturday night snack at our house.
I'd always made potato patties with any leftover mashed potatoes that I had, but when I came across Fat Rascals they sounded like a delicious variation. Now my family deliberately leaves some mashed potatoes in the bowl during dinner just so that I can make this treat the next day!
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded American or cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
- Combine the cheese, mashed potatoes, eggs and milk, add to dry
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat 2 in. of oil to 375°.
- Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls, a few at a time, into hot
- oil. Fry until golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Serve
- Yield: about 24 puffs.