Fat-Free Bean Salad
Ruth Beitelspacher of Aberdeen, South Dakota notes, "I recently made this salad to serve at a turkey barbecue. It was just as big a hit as it was for our son's confirmation dinner some 40 years ago." Her trim treatment of the timeless sweet-and-sour beans doesn't cut down on flavor one bit.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) French-style green beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- In a bowl, combine the green beans, kidney beans, onion, pickle
- relish and green pepper. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar and
- sugar; mix well. Pour over bean mixture; toss to coat evenly. Cover
- and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 156 calories, 0.55 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 672 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.