This smooth and refreshing dessert is popular at summer cookouts, but it makes a delicious light finish to hearty winter meals, too. For a pretty presentation, I serve it in individual glass dishes garnished with fresh sliced strawberries. -Joan Jay, Frisco, Texas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice, peel and vanilla.
- Set saucepan in ice; stir until mixture reaches room temperature, about 5 minutes. Fold in whipped topping and food coloring if desired. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Light Lemon Mousse in Quick Cooking May/June 2000, p27
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Fast Light Lemon Mousse
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review