Fast Italian Stew Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch escarole, trimmed and torn
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the cannellini beans, green beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add escarole; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 339 calories, 14 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 57 mg cholesterol, 1,252 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 26 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.