Fast Italian Stew Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bunch escarole, trimmed and torn
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the cannellini beans, green beans, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, oregano, salt and pepper.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add escarole; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 339 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 1252mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 9g fiber), 26g protein .
Reviews for Fast Italian Stew
"Very good, hearty meal. I used a 14oz. can of turnkey broth instead of 1 cup of vegetable broth and it was still very thick. I also tossed in some mushrooms because I love them. Some crusty bread warmed in the oven and it's a very complete and satisfying meal."
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.