Fast Italian Bread Salad
This twist on the typical tossed salad combines garden-fresh veggies with bread cubes and herbs...and is terrific when tomatoes are at their peak. "I first tasted this salad when I worked for a caterer. I experimented with different combinations until I came up with this version," says Kathleen Hufstedler of Kerrville, Texas.
2 ServingsPrep: 5 min. + standing Bake: 10 min.
- 1 cup cubed fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups cubed French or sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a bowl, combine the tomato, basil, green onion, oil, vinegar and
- salt. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Place bread cubes in a
- 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 325° for 8-10
- minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in
- tomato mixture. Add parsley. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 168 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 387 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.