Tender shrimp are nicely coated with crumbs and coconut in this elegant appetizer. The rum and marmalade sauce on the side is a tasty complement.—Elaine Bonica, Bethel, Maine
Recommended: 27 Easy Shrimp Recipes for Weeknight Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 jar (12 ounces) orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup rum
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and coconut. Dip shrimp into egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring orange marmalade and rum to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 2 dozen (1-1/3 cups sauce).
Originally published as Coconut Shrimp in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p30
Reviews forFast Coconut Shrimp
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2011
"i wish i wouldve known this before the horrific night i had at the resturaunt trying to make it a different way.this recipe makes sence."