Tender shrimp are nicely coated with crumbs and coconut in this elegant appetizer. The rum and marmalade sauce on the side is a tasty complement.—Elaine Bonica, Bethel, Maine
Featured In: 21 Restaurant Copycat Recipes
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 jar (12 ounces) orange marmalade
- 1/4 cup rum
- In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs and coconut. Dip shrimp into egg mixture, then roll in crumb mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Fry shrimp, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring orange marmalade and rum to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve with shrimp. Yield: 2 dozen (1-1/3 cups sauce).
Originally published as Coconut Shrimp in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p30
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Fast Coconut Shrimp
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 11, 2011
"i wish i wouldve known this before the horrific night i had at the resturaunt trying to make it a different way.this recipe makes sence."