Farmhouse Ham Chowder
“This chowder is full flavored and so comforting,” says Lisa Renshaw of Kansas City, Missouri. We couldn’t agree more! Leftover ham and veggies add body, while Gouda cheese brings a special touch.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 4-1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and red pepper in butter
- until crisp-tender. Stir in flour and dressing mix until blended;
- gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes
- or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, ham and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir
- in cheese until blended. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 267 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,288 mg sodium,