Farmhouse Ham Chowder Recipe
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 4-1/4 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and red pepper in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in flour and dressing mix until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, ham and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in cheese until blended. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Farmhouse Ham Chowder(4)
Sort By :
This recipe is easy and delicious, will definitely make it again and the grands loved it!
This is defiantly a comfort food! we sat around the fire place and talked of child hood memories.Chowder,home made bread and the fire place ablaze with family ...another good memory:)
I love this recipe and make it all the time! I love to make a double batch ahead of time when its cold and we go camping. It also freezes very well so its easy to send to friends and family when they are feeling a little under the weather! Definitely recommend trying this recipe!
Delicious and so easy! I am not a big cheese fan so I left that off with no loss of flavor. The soup also thickened up even more when reheated as the potatoes continued to break down. I'll definitely make this one again.