Farmhouse Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1. Place the chicken and water in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and red pepper flakes. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove chicken from broth; cool. Skim fat from broth. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and skin. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to broth. Cover and simmer.
- 3. For spaetzle, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg in a small bowl. Stir in the eggs, milk and parsley; blend well. With a rubber spatula, push batter through a large-hole grater or colander into simmering soup. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until spaetzle float to the top. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 3 quarts).
1 cup: 210 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein
Reviews for Farmhouse Chicken Soup
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.