Farmhouse Chicken and Biscuits Recipe
"MOTHER had two special ways of fixing chicken—browning serving-size pieces in fresh butter, or preparing this delicious sauce with the chicken added. Either way, our family loved Mother's chicken!"
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Homemade or purchased biscuits, warmed
- 1. Combine the first seven ingredients in a Dutch oven; cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- 2. Remove vegetables and chicken from broth; set vegetables aside. Skin, bone and cube the chicken. Strain broth, reserving 3 cups.
- 3. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour and pepper until thickened and bubbly. Gradually stir in reserved broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add chicken and vegetables; heat through. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC