Farmhouse Chicken and Biscuits Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Homemade or purchased biscuits, warmed
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a Dutch oven; cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and chicken from broth; set vegetables aside. Skin, bone and cube the chicken. Strain broth, reserving 3 cups.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour and pepper until thickened and bubbly. Gradually stir in reserved broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add chicken and vegetables; heat through. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Farmhouse Chicken and Biscuits(5)
Sort By :
I loved this recipe, only thing I did different was substituting half the water for chicken broth, I added the water & broth in a large measuring cup and mixed in about 1T poultry seasoning, half a packet of Sazón by Goya (its in the Hispanic food section of most grocers and is wonderful with chicken recipes!), and a dash of sage. Mixed well and poured over the chicken and veggies in the dutch oven.
My go to recipe for chicken & biscuits! I usually quadruple it as we have a large family and love left overs! However, when multiplying the recipe it is necessary to cut back slightly on the butter!!! Delish!
Delicious!!! We also served over rice and I used broth to cook the chicken.
I have made this several times - excellent recipe.