"MOTHER had two special ways of fixing chicken—browning serving-size pieces in fresh butter, or preparing this delicious sauce with the chicken added. Either way, our family loved Mother's chicken!"
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Homemade or purchased biscuits, warmed
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a Dutch oven; cover and simmer until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove vegetables and chicken from broth; set vegetables aside. Skin, bone and cube the chicken. Strain broth, reserving 3 cups.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; stir in flour and pepper until thickened and bubbly. Gradually stir in reserved broth; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add chicken and vegetables; heat through. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Farmhouse Chicken and Biscuits in Reminisce Extra August 1994, p47
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Farmhouse Chicken and Biscuits
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review