Farmhouse Bread Recipe
My family likes to have bread with lots of meals. This lovely loaf is loaded with nutritious grains so we can indulge in slice after slice.—Judy Cook, Branson, Missouri
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2-1/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups bread flour
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, oil, honey, oats, whole wheat flour, cornmeal, salt and 2 cups bread flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape into loaves. Place in three greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
1 slice: 96 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Farmhouse Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC