For an inexpensive and easy-to-prepare dish, try this hearty casserole. You can assemble it ahead and bake it just before leaving for a potluck. People go back for seconds since it includes tasty basic ingredients like bacon, cheese and potatoes. —Pat Kuether, Westminster, Colorado
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 10 slices white bread, cubed
- 1 cup cubed cooked potatoes
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Dash salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; add ham and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender; drain.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, potatoes and cheese. Top with all of the bacon mixture. Repeat layers of bread, potatoes and cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs; add the milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over all. Cover and chill overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 325°. Bake, uncovered, for 65-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Farmer's Strata in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p37
Reviews for Farmer's Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review