Farmer's Market Sausage Pie Recipe
- 4 Italian sausage links, casings removed, halved and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 small yellow tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, salad dressing mix, garlic powder and fennel seed. Cook and stir for 10 minutes; drain. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Farmer's Market Sausage Pie(2)
Sort By :
I added a portion of sliced onion and used
sweet italian turkey sausage. Also used 1-2 tbsp more while I sauted the veggies. I had too much so I made 2 pies, split the cheese mixture between the 2 and topped with Italian Bread Crumbs. Excellent recipe!
Very good recipe. I used sweet Italian sausage and 1/4 t. fennel.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baked Turkey >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >
- Summer Squash Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Dinner Recipes >