Farmer's Market Sausage Pie Recipe
Our 4-year-old son, Lukas, named this savory pie for the Saturday morning farmer's market that's held near our state capitol. Most of the fresh ingredients called for in the recipe can be found there and baked into this deliciously different entree. —Teri Schuman, Oregon, Wisconsin
- 4 Italian sausage links, casings removed, halved and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 small yellow tomato, cut into chunks
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup julienned green pepper
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian salad dressing mix
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, peppers, salad dressing mix, garlic powder and fennel seed. Cook and stir for 10 minutes; drain. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 2. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with cheeses. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top.
- 3. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC