Farmer's Casserole Recipe
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 4 eggs
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in an 8-in.-square baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese, ham and onions. Whisk eggs, milk, pepper and salt; pour over all. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake, uncovered, 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Farmer's Casserole(29)
Sort By :
Excellent recipe! I have made this many times and always double the recipe and put it in a 9x13 pan. I also have made it ahead and let it sit overnight in the frig before baking. Once in awhile I make it last minute and use frozen hash browns and bake it right away without letting it sit, and it still turns out great.
Kids love this. I added about top of garlic
To froggie.blue , as Immanda said, you need to look at the annotation at the bottom of the recipe: "Originally published as Farmer's Casserole in Country Woman March/April 1997, p29". So I think it's "Country Woman" (Reiman Publications, a Reader's Digest company), a sister magazine to "Taste of Home", that is (due) an apology and a credit from "East Well, Lose Weight" (a "Better Homes & Gardens special interests publication, Meredith Corporation). So if you feel so strongly about it, here is the contact information for BH&G. http://www.meredith.com/mediakit/bhg/print/contact.html
I have been making this casserole for years and years! We have regular breakfast meetings for the service groups I belong to and this one always disappears quickly. I double the recipe and use chedder and mixed cheeses as well. We always have a garden and so I often add sauteed red and green pepper if they are in season. I personally like more salt and pepper but when you are serving a varietty of guests who could have different health issues like I do. I put the salt and pepper on the table for them to decide if they want more. Great recipe and a great base for the different variations shared by some of the reviewers.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Ham >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Breakfast Casserole Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Country Woman Breakfast Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Casserole Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >