This dish is a hearty meal all by itself. My family thinks it's fantastic. Maybe your will, too.
- 6 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 egg yolks
- Dash each pepper and ground nutmeg
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or rubbed sage
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl; mash potatoes. Beat in milk, butter, green onions, garlic, egg yolks, pepper and nutmeg until light and fluffy.
- Stir in sausage, cheeses and parsley. Spoon into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with thyme. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Farm-Style Sausage Bake in Country Extra November 1996, p49
Reviews for Farm-Style Sausage Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review