Farm Apple Pan Pie Recipe
You'll find this pie's very convenient for taking to a covered-dish supper, picnic, etc. But be prepared—people always ask for a copy of the recipe! Attending auction sales together is a fun hobby for my husband and me.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 50 min. YIELD:18-24 servings
- EGG YOLK PASTRY:
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 5 pounds tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine yolks and cold water. Sprinkle over dry ingredients; toss with fork. If needed, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture can be formed into a ball.
- 2. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to fit a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- 3. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice; arrange half of them over dough. Combine the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; sprinkle half over apples. Top with remaining apples; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
- 4. Roll remaining pastry to fit pan; place on top of filling and seal edges. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cut vents in top pastry. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 18-24 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 317 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 86 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC