You'll find this pie's very convenient for taking to a covered-dish supper, picnic, etc. But be prepared—people always ask for a copy of the recipe! Attending auction sales together is a fun hobby for my husband and me.
- EGG YOLK PASTRY:
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 5 pounds tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine yolks and cold water. Sprinkle over dry ingredients; toss with fork. If needed, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture can be formed into a ball.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll half of dough to fit a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Sprinkle apples with lemon juice; arrange half of them over dough. Combine the sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; sprinkle half over apples. Top with remaining apples; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
- Roll remaining pastry to fit pan; place on top of filling and seal edges. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Cut vents in top pastry. Bake at 400° for 50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 18-24 servings.
Originally published as Farm Apple Pan Pie in Country Woman May/June 1994, p33
Reviews for Farm Apple Pan Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 16, 2013 Edited Apr. 3, 2014
"I'm making this Apple pie right now if it taste as good as it looks then its deffinatly going to taste amazing I will right another reveiw once i have tasted it but i cant until tomorrow im making it for a family get together!This recipe is deffinatly a keeper tastes absolutly delicious I have made it for the 2nd time already! And its deffinatly my go to recipe for apple pie!"