Far North Wild Rice Casserole
I find wild rice a very versatile ingredient to cook with. In this side dish, the rich flavor of this hearty grain combines beautifully with vegetables and bacon.Mina Dyck, Boissevain, Manitoba
10-12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook onion, green pepper, celery and bacon until
- the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook for
- 2 minutes; drain. Add the rice, peas if desired, soy sauce and
- pepper. Cook and stir gently over medium heat for 5 minutes. Yield:
- 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 133 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.