I find wild rice a very versatile ingredient to cook with. In this side dish, the rich flavor of this hearty grain combines beautifully with vegetables and bacon.—Mina Dyck, Boissevain, Manitoba
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cups cooked wild rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, optional
- 1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook onion, green pepper, celery and bacon until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes; drain. Add the rice, peas if desired, soy sauce and pepper. Cook and stir gently over medium heat for 5 minutes. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Far North Wild Rice Casserole in Taste of Home December/January 1995, p59
Reviews for Far North Wild Rice Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review