Fancy Sugar Cookies Recipe
These pretty lattice-topped cookies are ideal for decorating with colored sugar. Placed on a cookie tray, they make a stunning addition to any dessert table.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 8 min. + cooling YIELD:60 servings
- 1-1/2 cups Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Powdered Sugar
- COLORED SUGAR CRYSTALS:
- 2 tablespoons Domino® or C&H® Pure Cane Granulated Sugar
- 1 to 2 drops food coloring
- 1. In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sour cream, vanilla and lemon extract. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- 2. On a powdered sugar covered surface, roll out half the dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on greased cookie sheets. Roll out remaining dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut dough into lattice-style strips. Criss-cross strips in a lattice fashion over cutout cookies; lightly pressing ends to cookies. Trim strips as needed. Gather scraps and repeat rolling and cutting dough.
- 3. For colored sugar crystals, combine sugar and food coloring and blend with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle over lattice-topped cookies. Bake at 350° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC