Fancy Fruit Salad Recipe
This fruity salad is a great option for church potlucks, barbeques and family gatherings. It keeps well in the refrigerator, so you don’t have to be rushing at the last minute. Janice Malcom GRANDE PRAIRIE, ALBERTA
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked acini di pepe pasta
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, drain pineapple tidbits and crushed pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in the can of pineapple juice, orange juice concentrate and reserved pineapple juice.
- 3. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
- 4. Drain pasta and rinse in cold water; add to sugar mixture. Stir in oranges and reserved pineapple. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, fold in strawberries. Yield: 14 servings (3/4 cup each).
3/4 cup equals 277 calories, 5 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 93 mg sodium, 52 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC