- 1-1/2 cups uncooked acini di pepe pasta
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (6 ounces) DOLE® Canned 100% Pineapple Juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, drain pineapple tidbits and crushed pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually stir in the can of pineapple juice, orange juice concentrate and reserved pineapple juice.
- Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Drain pasta and rinse in cold water; add to sugar mixture. Stir in oranges and reserved pineapple. Fold in whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Just before serving, fold in strawberries. Yield: 14 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Fancy Fruit Salad
"I have served this at several luncheons and have had request for the recipe at every one. Blueberries are also good."
"I wasn't able to fine the pasta it calls for so I used orzo pasta. I also added a larger can of crushed pineapple and more strawberries than called for. My family loves this recipe!!!! You can use your imagination on what all other fruits you can use in this recipe. I think this salad is addictive and have made it several times in the last two weeks.(it don't last long) with my family eating it!!!!!!!!!! A+++++++++"
"I've made this recipe for several years. You can also exchange one can of pineapple for one can of fruit cocktail. You can also add some mini-marshmellows which add to it's lightness. This is an excellent dish for groups - family gatherings - picnics. Very light and enjoyable. Absolutely delicious!"
"I also make my mixture like Stephanie L Beck, this is a request from my kids when they come to visit! Also a winner at pot luck dinners! Been making this for over 25 years."
"Similar to a recipe my husband's family makes (now I make it too) that uses rosemarino (orzo) pasta and marachino cherries rather than strawberries. Difference is the cooked pasta has to absorb the mixture overnight before folding in the whipped topping and fruit. But I am guessing they come out about the same. It's a delicious, light, refreshing dessert salald."
"Fancy fruit salad is tasty and incredibly easy to make. My family simply loves it and my kids make it any time they can. It's a keeper and definitely going in my recipe box."