Fancy French Beans Recipe
When she's entertaining, June Mullins of Livonia, Missouri often serves this popular side dish. "Water chestnuts, bean sprouts and almonds add crunch," she says. "If you'd like the mixture a little creamier, use only 4 teaspoons of flour."
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 4 cups frozen French-style green beans
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Cook beans according to package directions. Add bean sprouts and water chestnuts; heat through. Drain well and set aside. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add Worcestershire sauce and bean mixture; toss to coat. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine almonds and cheese; sprinkle over the top. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until almonds are golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 190 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC