When she's entertaining, June Mullins of Livonia, Missouri often serves this popular side dish. "Water chestnuts, bean sprouts and almonds add crunch," she says. "If you'd like the mixture a little creamier, use only 4 teaspoons of flour."
- 4 cups frozen French-style green beans
- 1 cup canned bean sprouts
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook beans according to package directions. Add bean sprouts and water chestnuts; heat through. Drain well and set aside. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and cayenne until smooth. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add Worcestershire sauce and bean mixture; toss to coat. Pour into a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Combine almonds and cheese; sprinkle over the top. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 5 minutes or until almonds are golden brown and cheese is bubbly. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Fancy French Beans in Taste of Home August/September 2000, p18
Reviews for Fancy French Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review