These cute, tender cupcakes are creamy and not too sweet. They look fancy but are quick to fix...and even a big platter of these timeless treats disappears in no time. I've been making desserts since I was a youngster, the oldest of several sisters.
Recommended: 34 Easy Cake Decorating Ideas
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 drops red food coloring, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper or foil-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, beat cream in a chilled small bowl until it begins to thicken. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and food coloring if desired until stiff peaks form. Beat in almond extract.
- Cut a 1-in. cone shape from the center of each cupcake; set cone aside. Fill indentation with filling. Cut each cone in half from top to bottom; place two halves on filling for butterfly wings. If desired, pipe a thin strip of filling between wings for butterfly body if desired. Yield: 22 cupcakes.
Originally published as Fancy Cream Cupcakes in Taste of Home February/March 2000, p25
Reviews for Fancy Cream Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 28, 2016
"Hi Meches,You can replace the shortening with canola oil cup for cup."
Reviewed Jul. 27, 2016
"Hi,I have a question, can I use canola oil instead of shortening??? how this will affect the recipe?ThnksMercedes"