Fancy Chopped Salad Recipe
Elaine Sweet of Dallas, Texas teams summer dinners with this Italian-style salad. With its tangy homemade dressing, it offers a terrific flavor that's sure to become a staple in your home.
- 3 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons Greek olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fennel fronds for garnish, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with fennel fronds if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup equals 98 calories, 4 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 259 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC