- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (46 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- 2 cups each finely chopped celery, cabbage and carrots
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Yield: 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Family Vegetable Beef Soup
"I use Herbs de Provence instead of the herbs listed and omit mushrooms and green beans and use broccoli and potatoes instead. I use beef broth with this version and chicken broth with ham version."
"My Family LOVES this soup!"
"This was great and even better the next day."
"Love it but here are a few changes I make just to make it even more of a pantry meal:I substitute beef broth with one can of tomato paste instead of the tomato juice. Lower sodium and always in my pantry.Also, I usually have shredded zucchini in my freezer so I throw 2 c. of that in instead of the cabbage.Either way, it's a great soup!"
"This is a healthy, fulfilling recipe that we keep coming back to. My kids DO love it (even after much protesting otherwise), and I love that it is so nourishing!"