Family Tradition Potato Salad Recipe
Kathy Anderson of Wallkill, New York recalls, "This traditional recipe has been passed down through several generations in my mother's family."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:16-18 servings
- 5 pounds red potatoes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 1. Cook potatoes in boiling water until tender; drain and cool.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, salt, mustard and pepper. Add vinegar and water; bring to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add a small amount to eggs; return all to the pan. Cook and stir for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Refrigerate until cooled.
- 3. Peel potatoes if desired; slice and place in a large bowl. Add onions. Stir sour cream into dressing; pour over potato mixture and toss to coat. Yield: 16-18 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 190 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 160 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC