“I’m a big fan of pasta, smoked sausage and cheese, and I love spicy food. This dish has it all,” confirms Lisa Varner of Charleston, South Carolina. “Paired with a salad and bread, it makes a complete meal.”
Recommended: 45 Comfort Food Mashups
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound reduced-fat smoked sausage, casings removed and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook onion and garlic in oil over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add sausage and green pepper; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until sausage is lightly browned and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, salsa, chili powder and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain spaghetti; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Family-Pleasing Spaghetti in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p15
Reviews for Family-Pleasing Spaghetti
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review