Family-Pleasing Sloppy Joes
My grandchildren love these sandwiches. I like the recipe because it can be made ahead of time and keeps well in a slow cooker. I've found that it freezes well, too. —Patricia Ringle, Edgar, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is
- no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, water, brown sugar,
- vinegar, salt, mustard, chili powder and allspice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until heated
- Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 441 calories, 15 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 1,016 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 28 g protein.