- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 8 sandwich buns, split
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the ketchup, water, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard, chili powder and allspice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup meat mixture onto each bun. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Family-Pleasing Sloppy Joe Sandwiches
"My family really enjoyed this! It's a little sweet but both kids and adults enjoyed this at my house. This would be a crowd pleaser for sure! I'm making it halloween night so when everyone comes in from the cold NH weather we all have something warm!"
"My family really likes this recipe. We've made sloppy joes other ways, but this is the recipe I've come back to several times now. I'll keep making my sloppy joes this way -- good recipe!"
"Very good. Will definitely make again. Left out the salt. Plenty in the catchup."
"Not a whole lot of flavor. I probably won't make this again unless I'm in a real pinch."
"It was nothing special."
"really good I don't like man-wich canned stuff. This is not even close to it! have to try this recipe."
"VERY sweet- family liked it but all mentioned it was a little too sweet- I think next time I might try it without the brown sugar."
"Very tasty, and easy. My 3 kids, 5 and under, loved it!"
"These are the best sloppy joes ever!! My go to recipe from here on out!"