Family Flank Steak Recipe
- 1 beef flank steak (1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- MUSHROOM WINE SAUCE:
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional beef broth
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a large skillet, brown steak in oil. Stir in the wine,
- Worcestershire sauce and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2-4 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Remove steak and keep warm.
- To the skillet, add the mushrooms, broth, onions, butter and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually stir into sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Thinly slice steak across the grain; serve with sauce. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Family Flank Steak in Quick Cooking November/December 2004, p43
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Family Flank Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 6, 2012