Family-Favorite Taco Salad Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
- 6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes and seasonings; heat through.
- 2. Divide lettuce among six plates; top each with 2/3 cup turkey mixture, 4 teaspoons cheese and 1 tablespoon sour cream if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (calculated without sour cream) equals 239 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 551 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.