- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) Italian tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Hot cooked pasta of your choice
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours or until flavors are blended. Serve with pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Family-Favorite Pasta Sauce
Sort By :
"Very good, versatile. Especially liked the addition of balsamic vinegar."
"I love the flavor of this pasta sauce! I use it in my lasagna."
"Very good flavor! I used crushed tomatoes instead of diced because I am not a tomato chunk person. I did not have Italian tomato paste so I just used regular and added more Italian seasoning. In place of water, I used half beef stock and half red wine. I had a mix of Italian sausage and pork sausage (just what I had on hand). I also added an 8oz can of tomato sauce since I like it saucy. I didn't have any parsley so I just added a little more Italian seasoning and coarse ground pepper. I had some fresh mushrooms so I sliced and threw them in with the onion and garlic. This will probably replace my previous favorite as my sauce of choice. The brown sugar and balsamic vinegar make it very flavorful."
"Very good. I'm not a huge sausage lover, but this recipe is delicious. I did rinse the meat after browning and added a couple of fresh chopped tomatoes. Will make this again."
"Substitute for turkey Italian sausage. Company worthy."