Family-Favorite Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) Italian tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Hot cooked pasta of your choice
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion and garlic in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, parsley, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1-1/2 hours or until flavors are blended. Serve with pasta.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled sauce in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup (calculated without pasta) equals 169 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 884 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.